One of our founding fathers, Onno Roukens, visited Jordan for CBI to coach the Ministry of Agriculture on how to conduct market research in the Fresh Fruits & Vegetables sector. Yes, you heard that right, we are travelling with full force again! Even though the days of face-to-face coaching are back, Globally Cool also keeps online coaching at the back of its mind and this allowed us to unravel the secrets to successful training, both on- and offline!
Jordan’s fresh fruits and vegetables online market intelligence portal
But first, a little project background! Back in 2018, the Jordanian Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) assigned a team of experts to help and support the export development of the Jordanian fresh fruits and vegetables sector. Today, after two years of online training due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Globally Cool travelled again and visited Jordan.
Market research coaching and website development
At the end of May, Onno coached the MoA in conducting market research and supported web developers in building an online market intelligence portal (OMIP) for the sector. A platform with up-to-date national market statistical information, legal standardisation, information and accredited international labs information will take the Jordanian fresh fruits and vegetables sector to the next level. The team of web developers, the ministry and CBI experts are working hard to publish the website in early July 2022. Of course, we will keep you updated about the launch!
Distant and face-to-face coaching: combine for optimal results
Through the years, Onno trained more than 2,500 SMEs and promotion organisations. Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, he adapted to the world of online training as well. He believes that:
“Online video software – like Zoom – used to give virtual training is a great tool to achieve a project’s goals, but it is an addition to face-to-face coaching. The key to successful performance is the combination of both online and offline coaching.”
The ability to log in to video meeting software from anywhere and anytime in the world gives the coach and participants great advantages. However, having real eye contact and seeing each other physically gives an energy fulfilment that is such an advantage of offline coaching. Despite the verified utility of both training methods, millions of professionals, even today, face the same question of which form of learning is the best for them. As seasoned trainers and coaches, Globally Cool’s consultants recognise the differences between online and face-to-face coaching.
Online coaching versus offline coaching
Based on the virtual and face-to-face experiences from coaching the Jordanian Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), Globally Cool unravelled the secrets to successful training. Let’s look at both methods in some depth and analyse!
This form of learning entails the use of course materials, videos and examinations online. You can be in any part of the world and still be able to attend a distance learning program of your choice. You also don’t need to come to a formal institute on a day-to-day basis.
- The biggest advantage is being able to learn from the comfort of your home or workplace. No matter where you live, you can get learnings from anywhere in the world.
- The second advantage is that distance learning programs usually cost less as compared to full-time classroom training programs.
- For those who are working and studying at the same time, this can be a great option as their education does not significantly use up their earnings and at the same time, allows them to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to advance in their careers.
- The third advantage is 24/7 access to learning materials: with online courses, you can always access learning materials such as module contents, assignments, lecture materials, podcasts and recorded sessions anytime during the course of your studies.
- The disadvantage of distance learning is that you cannot interact with each other the way you would in a classroom setting.
- Another disadvantage is that some courses may demand formal hands-on training and can be learned effectively only in a classroom environment.
- Online learnings also require proper tools for you to have the learning process running smoothly, such as a good internet connection, laptop and webcam. Technical issues always lurk around the corner.
Regular learning or formal classroom learning requires you to meticulously attend classes, tests and examinations in the institution you wish to learn from. During classroom training, participants must maintain a certain behaviour in their classes and follow all the expected rules and regulations as upheld by the institution.
- The primary advantage of classroom learning is that you get to learn directly from the experts. You can ask questions directly and may, because of this, have a better grasp of concepts.
- Additionally, classroom learning comes with an opportunity where you get to interact with each other and build bonds with and learn from your fellow classmates.
- The classroom environment is filled with the energy of creativity, inspiration and the opportunity to start a discussion. Participants are feeling more comfortable raising their hands and sharing thoughts and opinions.
- Classroom learning requires full-time commitment which means if you are working, you may have to take a leave to attend your program.
- Classroom learning can be more expensive than distance learning programs.
Globally Cool will coach you!
Online learning is famously flexible, which will offer a great learning experience and successfully improve your knowledge and skills. However, classroom learning offers the benefits of eye contact and audience energy. We at Globally Cool believe finding the right balance between virtual and face-to-face coaching has a great impact on project outcomes – surely, this should be tailored in each case. For example, a project with a coach based in the Netherlands and the participants located in Jordan, online learning is a great sustainable option. But when the programme needs to speed up and get the best out of the team, offline training will advance the results. We endeavour to assist professionals with coaching and help them successfully apply the learned skills.
Globally Cool uses innovative tools and methodologies to create a highly interactive environment to amplify project results. Interested in off- and online coaching? We got your back!