Developing a groundbreaking trade information portal for The Bahamas
In November 2016, the International Trade Centre ITC asked Globally Cool to develop a trade information portal for The Bahamas. This project could benefit greatly from a combination of our in-house expertise in strategy development, online marketing and market intelligence.
Over a period of 4 months, we travelled to The Bahamas 4 times to:
- conduct stakeholder meetings and strategic sessions
- develop the concept and scope of the portal
- design and develop the portal
- develop market report templates
- conduct content management training and coaching sessions
- present the portal to the Cabinet of The Bahamas, including plans to enhance the portal and add an ecommerce module
Mr Martin Lopez, ITC project manager was quoted in the Tribune 242 paper: “This will be a groundbreaking resource for The Bahamas, something that will make The Bahamas one of the forerunners in terms of business development and business support to companies interested in export.”
Why do The Bahamas need a trade information portal?
The economy of The Bahamas strongly depends on two industries:
- Tourism – award winning tourism destination for outstanding cruises, luxury, golf, water sports, beach and diving holidays
- Financial services – international financial centre for wealth management, offshore banking and asset management
Although The Bahamas excel in these areas, their export performance in other sectors is limited. However, there is definitely potential. The Vision 2040 National Development Plan strives to strengthen The Bahamas’ economy. An important strategy is to diversify the economy by developing its export sectors.
“A trade information portal is the perfect tool to create awareness and support both local exporters and foreign buyers”.
Minister of Financial Services, the Hon. C.V. Hope Strachan, announced the launch of the portal in January 2017 (Nassau Gardian).
What does the trade information portal do?
The trade information portal focuses on The Bahamas’ key sectors:
- cosmetics & pharmaceuticals
- creative industries
- financial services
- food and beverages
- maritime and logistic services
It supports Bahamian exporters with:
- trade information – market intelligence reports on export performance, competitors and potential markets
- trade facilitation – information about rules, regulations, incentives, etc.
- exporter toolkit – manuals, guides, self assessments, etc.
- trade news and events
For foreign buyers, it provides:
- reasons to source from The Bahamas
- sector profiles
- exporter directory
- trade news and events
- information on the business climate, incentives, etc.
The Bahamas Trade Information Portal now online
This portal sets the benchmark for the Caribbean. Interested? The Bahamas trade information portal was launched early March ’17 and is accessible at www.bahamastradeinfo.gov.bs